I learnt about the proposed abolition of the Modern Languages exam in an interview with Londra Gazete. They asked for my opinion and I confirmed that it would be something I would campaign to stop.
If you want to save the exams please sign the petition here:
As someone with a passion for education I want to encourage foreign languages to be learnt and taking away examinations for languages is sending out the wrong message.
There are so many reasons why the examinations should remain, such as:
- So that future traders and businesses trade and converse in the language of the country
- To recognise achievement in learning the language
- To formalise a language that may be spoken at home
- To learn different cultures
- To provide UCAS points for students going onto university education
Boris Johnson joined the campaign to support saving the exams and said:
“My great grandfather Ali Kemal, when he was a minister in İstanbul, he actually reinstituted the study of Latin and Greek which was amazingly beneficial.”